Effective: September 01, 2021
Information We Collect
There are three basic categories of information we collect:
- Information you provide.
- Information we get when you use our services.
- Information we get from third parties.
Here’s a little more detail on each of these categories.
Information You Provide
When you interact with our services, we collect information that you provide to us.
You’ll provide us whatever information you send through our services, such as Comics submitted to the Gallery or through third party apps. Keep in mind that the users who view your submissions, and any other content can always save that content or copy it outside the app. So, the same common sense that applies to the internet at large applies to StoryMaker as well: Don’t send messages or share content that you wouldn’t want someone to save or share.
When you contact customer support or communicate with us in any other way, we’ll collect whatever information you volunteer or that we need to resolve your question.
Information We Get When You Use Our Services
When you use our services, we collect information about which of those services you’ve used and how you’ve used them. We might know, for instance, that you watched a particular story, saw a specific image, and sent a few stickers. Here’s a fuller explanation of the types of information we collect when you use our services:
- Usage Information. We collect information about your activity through our services. For example, we may collect information about:
- how you interact with our services, such as which stickers you view or send, which stories you read, or which search queries you submit.
- Content Information. We collect content you create on our services, such as custom stickers and comics, and information about the content you create or provide, such as the metadata that is provided with the content.
- Device Information. We collect information from and about the devices you use. For example, we collect:
- information about your hardware and software, such as the hardware model, operating system version, device memory, advertising identifiers, unique application identifiers, apps installed, unique device identifiers, browser type, keyboards installed, language, battery level, and time zone
- Location Information. When you use our services we may collect information about your location. With your permission, we may also collect information about your precise location using methods that include GPS, wireless networks, cell towers, and Wi-Fi access points.
- Technical cookies: These cookies are necessary to navigate our services. They allow us to monitor performance across our services and detect issues in order to prevent as much as possible inconveniencing our users
- Statistical cookies: They allow us to monitor our audience and keep track of indicators such as, unique visitors, pages navigated, location… The data collected is treated anonymously for the sole purpose of measuring audience
- We do not store any ad-related cookies
- Log Information. We also collect log information when you use our website, such as:
- details about how you’ve used our services;
- device information, such as your web browser type and language;
- access times;
- pages viewed;
- IP address;
- identifiers associated with cookies or other technologies that may uniquely identify your device or browser; and
- pages you visited before or after navigating to our website.
How We Use Information
The information collected is used to provide you with the best services and products which we constantly aim to improve. Here are the ways we do that:
- develop, operate, improve, deliver, maintain, and protect our products and services.
- send you communications, including by email. For example, we may use email to respond to support inquiries or to share information about our products, services, and promotional offers that we think may interest you.
- monitor and analyze trends and usage.
- enhance the safety and security of our products and services.
- use information we’ve collected from cookies and other technology to enhance our services and your experience with them.
- enforce, investigate, and report conduct violating our Terms of Service and other usage policies, respond to requests from law enforcement, and comply with legal requirements.
How We Share Information
We may share information about you in the following ways:
- With other users. We may share the following information with other users:
- information about you, such as your username if you decided to share it.
- information about how you have interacted with our services.
- any additional information you have directed us to share. For example, StoryMaker will share your information if you share information or content from the App or our services to a third-party app.
- content you post or send. How widely your content is shared depends on your personal settings and the type of service you are using. For example, a comics may be stored on your device, sent to just a single contact you select, but your personalised Story content may be seen by any user if shared in the public gallery.
- With all users, our business partners, and the general public. We may share the following information with all users as well as with our business partners and the general public:
- public information like your username, published stories in the public gallery.
- Public Content like stories submissions that are set to be viewable by Everyone, and any content that you submit to an inherently public service. This content may be viewed, used, and shared by the public at large both on and off our services, including through search results, on websites, in apps, and in online and offline broadcasts.
- With our affiliates. We may share information with entities within HooPow.
- With third parties. We may share information about you with service providers who perform services on our behalf, including to measure and optimize our performance as described in the cookies section.
- We may share information about you with business partners that provide services and functionality on our services.
- We may share information about you, such as device and usage information, to help us and others prevent fraud.
- We may share information about you for legal, safety, and security reasons. We may share information about you if we reasonably believe that disclosing the information is needed to:
- comply with any valid legal process, governmental request, or applicable law, rule, or regulation.
- investigate, remedy, or enforce potential Terms of Service and Community Guidelines violations.
- protect the rights, property, or safety of us, our users, or others.
- detect and resolve any fraud or security concerns.
- We may share information about you as part of a merger or acquisition. If HooPow. gets involved in a merger, asset sale, financing, liquidation or bankruptcy, or acquisition of all or some portion of our business to another company, we may share your information with that company before and after the transaction closes.
- Non-personal information. We may also share with third parties that provide services to us or perform business purposes for us aggregated, non-personally identifiable, or de-identified information.
Third-Party Content and Integrations
Our services may contain third-party content and integrations, such as Firebase SDK to support our performance and telemetric analysis or instant messenger services. Through these integrations, you may be providing information to the third party as well as to HooPow. We are not responsible for how those third parties collect or use your information. As always, we encourage you to review the privacy policies of every third-party service that you visit or use, including those third parties you interact with through our services.
How Long We Keep Your Information
By using our services, you accept the stories posted are stored in our databases for an unlimited amount of time unless requested otherwise by email.
We store other information for longer periods of time. For example:
- We store your basic account information—like your name, phone number, and email address— until you ask us to delete them.
If you ever decide to stop using our Apps, you can just send us an email to request we delete your account. We’ll also delete most of the information we’ve collected about you after you’ve been inactive for a while!
Keep in mind that, while our systems are designed to carry out our deletion practices automatically, we cannot promise that deletion will occur within a specific timeframe. There may be legal requirements to store your data and we may need to suspend those deletion practices if we receive valid legal process asking us to preserve content, if we receive reports of abuse or other Terms of Service violations, or if your account or content created by you is flagged by others or our systems for abuse or other Terms of Service violations. Finally, we may also retain certain information in backup for a limited period of time or as required by law.
Control Over Your Information
We want you to be in control of your information, so we provide you with the following tools.
- Access, Correction, and Portability. You can access and edit most of your basic account information right in our apps. Because your privacy is important to us, we will ask you to verify your identity or provide additional information before we let you access or update your personal information. We may also reject your request to access or update your personal information for a number of reasons, including, for example, if the request risks the privacy of other users or is unlawful.
- Revoking permissions. In most cases, if you let us use your information, you can simply revoke your permission by changing the settings in the app or on your device if your device offers those options. Of course, if you do that, certain services may lose full functionality.
- Deletion. While we hope you’ll remain a lifelong Storymaker user, if for some reason you ever want to delete your account, just send us an email. You can also delete some information in the app, like comics you’ve saved or favorited.
International Data Transfers
We may collect your personal information from, transfer it to, and store and process it in other countries outside of where you live. Whenever we share information outside of where you live, when we are legally required to do so, we make sure an adequate transfer mechanism is in place. We also make sure any third parties we share information with have an adequate transfer mechanism in place, as well.
In order to provide you with a quality Service, HooPow relies on the expertise of its subcontractors, some of which process your data outside the European Union (example: billing and customer support services).
In this context, HooPow selects its subcontractors with the utmost vigilance and takes the necessary steps to ensure that your data is processed securely. Thus, HooPow ensures that the processing of this data by its subcontractors is carried out in accordance with the applicable regulations and that they act only on the instruction of HooPow, as part of the performance of the services that HooPow entrusts them. HooPow also ensures that the transfer of personal data to these subcontractors is carried out by virtue of an adequacy decision from the European Commission to a country ensuring an adequate level of protection (more information here from the CNIL) and, if the subcontractors processors concerned are not located in a country offering adequate protection, that the transfer of personal data is framed by appropriate guarantees and in particular, suitable contractual, technical and organizational provisions, such as the standard contractual clauses of the European Commission which allow to guarantee a sufficient level of protection of the privacy and fundamental rights of individuals.
Our services are not intended for—and we don’t direct them to— unsupervised children. Our services should be appropriately accessed with and granted by a consenting parent. We do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under 13. In addition, we may limit how we collect, use, and store some of the information of EEA and UK users between 3 and 16. In some cases, this means we will be unable to provide certain functionality to these users. If we need to rely on consent as a legal basis for processing your information and your country requires consent from a parent, we may require your parent’s consent before we collect and use that information.